It’s that time of year again when we all scramble to find the perfect Christmas gift for family and friends. For some, you know exactly what Christmas present to buy. For others…um…well…they’re really hard to buy a gift for. It’s a bit like the lyrics in Owl City’s Humbug: “I wander around the store again and again/But all I do is shrug/Cause I don’t have a clue what to get you…”
Well, why not spend that gift budget on presents that will provide your recipients something cute AND will make a difference for those in tough situations? One of the greatest presents we can give the poor is the dignity of meaningful work. So here’s a way to solve that Christmas gift dilemma with an affordable win-win as all the gifts in this list are $25 or under.
10 Fair Trade Christmas Gifts Under $25
- Hand Warmers, knit by Refugees in NC – $24: These multi-colored pink, purple & brown handwarmers (as well as the other handwarmers in our Etsy shop) are knit by a refugee mom in North Carolina. She receives $20 from each set purchased.
- Crocheted Gypsy Earrings, designed & made by Refugees in NC – $20: These earrings, hand-crocheted and designed by Alia, are unique and stylish! She creates her own designs and is paid $16/pair.
- Double-Handed Oven Mitts, sewn by Refugees in TN – $23: A long fabric center prevents burns on your wrists and arms as well as your hands… perfect for casserole dishes coming out of the oven, or hot bowls of soup from the microwave.
- Fabric Covered Journal & Bookmark Set, sewn by Refugees in TN – $22: Each set includes a composition notebook to get you started with journaling, note taking, recipe writing, or whatever you need to write down!
- Manhattan Neighborhoods Tablet Case, sewn by Refugees in NY – $15: This fully lined bag with an inside pocket was handmade in Buffalo, NY by Seyara who is a refugee from Nepal, and now lives in Buffalo’s West Side neighborhood.
- Leather Tassel Keychain, made by Refugees in IL – $15: Made from upcycled furniture store samples, these fringed leather tassel is perfect as a key chain or to add pizzazz to your backpack or purse!
- Eyeglass Cases, made by Refugees in GA – $18: These unique eyeglass cases are lined with either suede or velvet so your glasses are protected.
- Kayah Li Hammered Brass Earrings, made by Refugees in MO – $18: Named for the language of the Karenni people. these primitive hammered brass earrings have a modern diamond shape with a dangle of polished kyanite.
- Onesie with Hand-Appliqued Batik Whales, made by Refugees in MO – $24: Whimsical onesies feature sweet hand-appliqued animals in bright batik on a super soft onesie.
- Funky Tunes Pocket Square, made by Refugees in CO – $14: These pocket squares are made using a polyester twill fabric, milled from recycled plastic bottles, that mimics the look and feel of silk with less sheen.
And there you have it! Our round up of 10 Fair Trade Christmas Gifts $25 or Under. If you’re willing to spend a bit more, all these shops have lots of other gorgeous product options. Shops that didn’t make this list but which also employ refugees include Loom Chicago, Prosperity Candle, Beautiful Day Granola, We Made This, and Anchor of Hope Subscription Box.